The Bottom Line
- Vlog It! is affordable ($49) and the 15 day free trial download makes it worth checking out.
- Video streaming is free to TypePad bloggers, meaning bandwidth and server space aren't an issue.
- The teleprompter makes recorded narration look and sound professional.
- Green screen capabilities let you use creative backgrounds with your vlog.
- Vlog It! doesn't actually edit video--you need other editing software for that.
- Some of the titles and graphics look a bit dated and cheesy.
- All the videos have the same "newsy" look and feel.
- Cost: $49.95
- Compatable with Windows 2000 and XP
- Requirements: 933 MHz Pentium III or faster, 256 MB RAM, 75 MB available hard drive space
- Output to Flash, Windows Media Player or Real Player
Guide Review - Vlog It!
Vlog It! is designed for bloggers interested in video, not for videographers interested in blogging. If you fall into that first category you will most likely be delighted with the software. If you fall into the second, you will be disappointed.
If you've never done much with video before, you'll love how easy Vlog It! makes it to put together a video blog entry and post it online. Everything is taken care of--from importing files, to recording narration, to compressing and posting your video--with the beginner in mind.
The Vlog It! template is a basic newscast, and that's what your vlogs end up looking like. The effects and green screen capabilities allow you to change some parts of your vlog, but the basic structure is always the same: a talking head (you), with cutaways to still photographs or video clips.
So, while you can use Vlog It! to quickly and easily create a video version of a blog post, you can't do much more than that. For the low price, though, it's worth giving Vlog It! a try.