The Bottom Line
- Netflix streaming adjusts to your internet connection speed, so videos play smoothly
- Netflix movies start very quickly
- Netflix is extremely affordable
- Netflix can stream movies to your TV
- The Netflix app lets you watch movies on a cell phone without Wifi
- You must be connected to the internet to watch videos
- There's a limited selection at Netflix online - you won't find new releases here
- Unlimited movie streaming from Netflix starts at $7.99 monthly.
- Streaming movies begin to play right away on your computer.
- You’ll need a high-speed internet connection to watch streaming videos from Netflix.
Guide Review - Netflix Streaming Movies and TV
Netflix was my first experience with online streaming of movies and TV, and it will always hold a special spot in my media mix. But with all the new competitors popping up, it seems like Netflix is having a hard time keeping up.
Unlimited streaming video is only $7.99 per month, and for a few bucks more you can upgrade and receive movies in the mail.
The Netflix streaming selection is broad, but you're not going to find a lot of popular movies or new releases. Really, if you want anything that was a commercial success in the last ten years, you'll need to get on the DVD-in-the-mail plan or use iTunes or Amazon.
Movies play on your computer, or you can stream directly to your television with an internet TV device. Netflix streaming doesn't offer HD, but the quality is great on my big-screen TV. There's also a free app that lets you stream videos on your cell phone without a wifi connection.
To watch Netflix online, you’ll need high-speed internet, but the streaming adjusts depending on your connection speed, so you’ll have smooth playback even if your connection gets slow. The movies start playing right away, without any advertisements, and the pictures look good in small and full-screen modes.